8.04.2009

The Sandwhich Lady Song

A couple of summers ago, a friend of mine gave me a card before my very first clerkship in pharmacy school. It was a cute little card that made me laugh and helped settle my nerves before my first big day. I thought it only appropriate to bring it along on my 4th year, a year full of clerkships and big days. It still makes me smile everytime.

Outside: I was walking to my car, and I saw this lady I recognized from the deli, the sandwhich lady, and I made up this song:
"You are the sandwhich lady! Come on, sandwhich lady! Go, go, sandwhich lady!"
So now I think maybe I'm creative.
Inside: You're creative. You tell me.

I moved to Asheville Sunday. I am living in the MAHEC House with 7, soon to be 8, other women! Its 5 bedroom, 2.5 bath, and has a small kitchen (w/ 2 refrigerators), dining room, and living room. I am sharing a room with two girls, Laura and Dana, and everyone in the house except one girl is from our pharmacy class. I haven't had roommates in a long time, and certainly never this many at a time, so it will be an adjustment!

Monday was a day full of orientation. We all got up and showered (surprisingly without any waiting) and were off to the hospital and MAHEC. We decided to walk because the house is only a couple blocks down the street. We spent the day learning about our seminar, projects for the year, policies, computer passwords, and ice cream at the end of the day! I sat across the table from a couple of the program leaders at lunch and it was great to already start building a relationship and getting advice on career plans and clerkships.

Today was my first day at my clerkship site for the month. I am at Black Mountain Neuro-Treatment Center, a long term care facility specializing in Alzheimer's and Developmentally Disabled patients. I spent the morning in a Care Plan meeting with the mult-disciplinary team that reviews each resident quarterly (and sometimes more frequently if needed). They discuss disease progression, behavioral issues, precautions, medication therapy, restorative care plans, and any other pertinant issues about the patients. While discussing one patient, I quickly came to the sad realization that he had become a more manageble patient because of his cognitive decline. He was happier to be there because he couldn't remember he didn't want to be there for long enough to get mad about it. I will definately be learning a lot this month, not only about psychotropic and neurological medications, but about overall patient care.

No comments:

Post a Comment