8.16.2009

The Beauty of a Nightlight

Our hallway is DARK! I run in to walls on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night or the shower in the morning. So I bought a nightlight. It's wonderful. There is only one plug in the hallway, in the middle of the wall on the landing of the stairs (and by middle I'm talking vertically, its next to the window), but it's the perfect place for a nightlight. Yay for safer nights!.

Anyway, on to more important things:, an update from the last week. My rotation isn't quite as exciting as it used to be. I've settled in and gotten used to the work flow, and it's SLOW. I'm used to a fast paced hospital of hundreds of patients or a lecture hall covering 50 slides per hour, but the Black Mountain Center just doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately I am feeling like most of my week is spent in meetings. Those meeting are important for the patients, and it's important for pharmacy to be represented there, but it's not really teaching me anything -- at least not about pharmacy. My goal for this week is to try to get out of a couple of those meetings so that I can spend more time with one of the pharmacists doing drug regimen reviews. I think reviewing one patient's chart and medications at a time will better teach me about the drugs and how they are used as these diseases progress in these patients.

I went back to Charlotte this weekend for some fun. Thomas and I saw a couple movies (Transformers 2 and G. I. Joe) which we thought were not the greatest movies of all time, but entertaining and enjoyable. We tried a new-to-us sushi place in south Charlotte that sadly wasn't really anything special. We also went out to Rock Bottom in Uptown for dinner and beers with one of our pharmacy friends, Jason, who is nearby for the month of August. We had a great time until we got back to discover his car had been towed from the visitors lot and he would have to spend the night on the couch before he could get it back. Long story short: the building managers have people's cars towed if they think they are just using the lot for free parking and not actually visiting. The towers mistakenly thought Jason had just parked and walked away (despite later admiting they saw us walk towards the door of the building) and thus towed his car. They were super jerks about it both last night and this morning when we tried to get the car back. Luckily, after explaining the situtation to the building manager in the middle of the night, we got the car back this morning without having to pay for the tow. Some people are just jerks, with nasty attitudes, and its really not necessary. I can't imagine they live very happy lives.

Anywho, my goals for the week:
1. Get out of meetings and do more drug reviews to learn the drugs
2. Start working on my first project for seminar
3. Go to the gym every day
4. Find something new to do in Asheville

Things I'm looking forward to this week:
1. Panthers playing the Giants in MNF
2. Beers and Baseball Fest this Saturday
3. Burger Pie for dinner :-) -- THANKS MOM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment