8.23.2009

I love you the whole world...

Dr. Kelly took me to meet one of his favorite patients on Friday. He has a profound intellectual disability, but he's really a funny guy. He's a big Carolina fan and told me, "I hate Duke," and he really enjoys watching baseball too. We talked about baseball for a few minutes (his favorite team is the Dodgers), what he was watching on TV, and his favorite musicians (Pink Floyd, Johnny Cash, and Led Zeppelin). As we turned to leave, he asked me if I'd come back and visit and told me he loved me. He also told Dr. Kelly, "Dr. Kelly, I love you the whole world!" Dr. Kelly and I chuckled as we headed down the hall to the nurses station and there was my smile for the day.

Friday night Kim, Laura, Allison (and John), and I went out in downtown Asheville. We'd heard about a music festival and were off to see it. Turns out it was Asheville After 5, very similar to Live After 5 in CLT (or really any town in the summer). We didn't really know much about it so we got there just in time for the last song. We walked around Asheville a little more and stumbled upon the Drum Circle. I don't know much about it other than on Friday nights in the summer a bunch of people get together and play their drums in this little greenspace in the middle of town. Again, we showed up at the end!

We decided to find a bar and get a drink. We got a great table at College Street Pub. They had live music and were charging a cover if you went inside, but for some reason not if you sat out on the patio. The weather was nice and they had the windows open so we just sat out there -- and got service, it was great! Here we are: Laura, Allison, Kim, and myself.

Saturday, Kelly, Allison, John, and I had tickets to the Baseball and Beers Festival. It was a big beer tasting at McCormick Field where the Asheville Tourists play baseball. We walked to the stadium, got our wristbands and cups, and got to tasting. My favorites of the day: Magic Hat #9, Magic Hat Circus Boy, Allagash White by Allagash, Son of a Peach by R. J. Rockers, Apricot by Haywire, and Vanilla Creme by Thomas Creek. After the tasting we went out looking for some food. Our first choice, Wild Wings Cafe, was PACKED! So we headed up the street to ED Boudreaux's, a BBQ place on Biltmore Ave. They had the Panthers game on and we had a really great server. She even brought us an extra basket of fries (regular and sweet potato!) We all went our separate ways for the night, but we had a great time.














One more week here in Asheville at the Black Mountain Neuro-Treatment Center and then back to Chapel Hill for the month of September to do nuclear medicine with Dr. Kowalsky. Its hard to believe one month is almost over, this year is going to fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment