8.20.2009

Cloggers and Bloomin' Idiot

This week I got to go to one of the activities for the residents. A local clogging group came Tuesday afternoon to perform. They were a group men and women of all ages and they really looked like they were having fun. From a technical standpoint, they weren't the greatest, but they were entertaining. It was amazing to see how excited and interactive the residents were with the group. There was one man with Alzheimer's that just couldn't sit still! The recreators kept jumping up to grab ahold of him because he wanted to dance -- and not just in a corner, but out there in the middle with the cloggers! The dancers did take a break and get the residents involved. They were invited to come up and dance. Several of them jumped right up there, or wanted to be pushed in their wheelchairs. It really was pretty incredible to see the joy on their faces.

Today I was with Sandy, my preceptor, on one of the Alzheimer's units. One of the residents came to the nursing station and told me I was wearing a nice blouse. She's a sweet little lady that usually tells everyone woman they're wearing a nice blouse. I thanked her, told her she was wearing a pretty blouse as well, and she thanked me back. From reading her chart for a review the other day, I knew she had loved to garden, and her shirt was covered in flowers so I asked her if she liked flowers. She replied, "Yes, I'm a bloomin' idiot!" Sandy and I immediately laughed and I was so surprised at her response because many of the patients can't hold even the simpliest of conversations, let alone be witty. She was having a very good day for a response like that.

This week has gone by fast, but today was particularly slow. I started off grumpy because Sandy was coming in late and hadn't really given me anything to work on so I thought I could use that time to begin working on a project for my seminar that I had been putting off. I was feeling a little used this morning by the rest of the pharmacy staff because they wanted me to keep the pre-packing machine running while I researched, which isn't a hard task -- more annoying than anything, but they were all in the other room just reading the paper and joking around. Ugh, grumpy! I didn't get very far on my project, and this afternoon Sandy and I went to a Care Plan meeting and then did chart reviews. I feel I'm getting better at chart reviews, but we still aren't making very many medication recommendations so I don't know that I'm very good a suggesting the next step in therapy. Oh well, I still have time to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment