1.06.2010

Snow flurries

I know Western North Carolina is the mountains. I know the mountains get cold. And I know that I chose to come here, but its COLD!! For the past three days I have bundled up: gloves, scarf, coat, ear muffs (they never quite fit right, but I had them with me) and walked to and from work in the snow flurries. I start off with a jolt as I walk out the back door of the AHEC house and mildly adjust to the cold about a third of the way there. Then as I approach the traffic light to cross the street my ears start to feel like ice blocks that want to fall off. And finally, as I round the bend to walk up to the front door of the Heart Tower, a wind that was previously non-existant suddenly feels like a tornado of penetrating cold air that literally knocks me backwards. I shiver just thinking about it. At least today, I got my ear muffs to fit right and the flurries stopped on the walk home.

On a warmer note, my preceptor bought me a cup of coffee today! He's been on vacation and the pharmacist I've been working with hasn't been the most outgoing and generally made me feel like I was in her way and that she didn't have time for me. I'm still not super excited about this rotation in the ICU, but at least my real preceptor has a general interest in me being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment