7.17.2010

Signing my initials

About a week and a half ago I took a few days off from work. Less than a month in and already requesting a vacation? Not so much. It was cramming time. For 48 hours I tried to refresh my memory on everything pharmacy law related. Then last Friday Thomas and I arrived at the testing center, had our fingerprints recorded, our palm veins scanned, our pictures taken, our stuff locked away and led into the testing room to begin the first of two licensing exams. We were given 2 hours but were finished in just over an hour.

For the weekend, more cramming. Another 48 hours to shove as much pharmacy knowledge back into my head. Learn something about HIV and oncology drugs, remember which pysch meds have the worst side effects, learn about some over the counter medications since I don't ever see them working in a hospital. At 7:15 on Monday morning, Thomas and I were the first two in line at the testing center. We repeated the check in process and started the second exam, this time with a 4 hour time limit. Right at the two hour mark I heard Thomas leave, he was finished. I on the other hand was getting hit with compounding and calculations questions I didn't have a clue how to begin to solve. I wanted to cry. I pushed through, but seriously thought this was the worst I'd ever felt about a test, there was no way I could pass.

Tuesday afternoon we got the results of our law test, we passed! Wednesday night we got the results of our board exam, we passed! Thursday morning I logged on to the Board of Pharmacy website and enter my name in the search field to "verify a license." There I am! I have a license number! I'm a "real pharmacist" now!! My coworkers were ecstatic! My reward? Here, here's a counter full of meds to go to the floor and cart fill (a 24 hour supply of meds for each patient), start checking!

So for about two days now I've been signing my initials on things. I've caught mistakes technicians have made and at times I've felt overwhelmed with the amount of things that needed my attention. I even realized they've already given my technician number away to a new person. Its been a little strange, and I don't know that its my favorite role to play, but at least I feel productive at work now and not like I'm just in the way or hogging a chair. We had a celebratory dinner at my mom's house last night and need to plan one with Thomas's family soon. Along with celebrating his license, he needs to celebrate finally getting his official employment offer and starting orientation this Monday. We're starting to feel like grown-ups, and that's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment