6.27.2010

My first week

Last week was my first day as an almost pharmacist. I won't be licensed until the middle of July, but we're getting a jump start on training so when I do get licensed I'll be ready to go (maybe).

My boss called me the week before to chat and told me to be there at 0700 on Monday. She had decided our other new grad, Kerry (also a friend from my class), would start with the "Front" position that is mostly checking meds that need to go up to the floors. Kerry is already licensed so they want to be able to use her on her own ASAP. My boss wasn't sure who she'd have me shadow, but I'd find out on Monday. Fine with me.

On Monday, I got up EARLY. Super duper early for someone that hasn't been working for 6 weeks. Got all dressed up in my new outfit, excited that for once I didn't have to wear scrubs or my hair in a ponytail and I could actually look like a nice young lady. Packed my lunch and headed out. When I got there, I met Kerry and showed her to the pharmacy and started introducing her around. Finally I found our scheduler and asked her what I was supposed to be doing today. "You'll be in the IV room for the week." Great, glad I did my hair!

I love the IV room, it "home" to me at the pharmacy. Its the only area I've really worked when I've come back on breaks for the last 5+ years. Its familiar, its the most comfortable place to start learning, but for once, I wasn't really excited to be there. The day, and the week really, went well. My technicians accepted my new transition from fellow technician to pharmacist very well. We have a new IV room manager and are all learning the new changes she is implementing and they helped inform me of those. I even caught a mistake on my first day!

Over the week I had the opportunity to work with three to four different pharmacists and learn their way of doing things. Everyone has a slightly different method and it will take time for me to develop my own, but its good to know what each one of them likes to focus on. I continued to catch mistakes throughout the week as I checked things before the pharmacist and I gained confidence that this will be a smooth transition for me. Next week, that's all likely to go out the window as I start shadowing and training on order entry. I will be seeing a new side of our pharmacy computer software and will have to think about many different things at one time instead of just: correct fluid, correct volume, correct drug, correct amount -- check!

No comments:

Post a Comment