8.11.2010

Another first day

Today was my first day as an order entry pharmacist on my own. It was a pretty good day. We still haven't finished our clinical training, so other pharmacists took care of my renal (kidney function) monitoring sheets for me. I would have liked to try to do them on my own because I've watched pharmacists do them quite a bit, and because I'm going to have to learn to do them on my own soon anyways, but it was nice to not have to do them today.

The day started off a little slow, and I didn't get too many phone calls interrupting my train of thought. I did still have lots of questions though. By lunch time, however, as the trend has been, my little world exploded with phone calls and difficult orders. Order sets for IV heparin (an anticoagulant that can be very dangerous if given as an overdose) almost always have something missing that I have to call a nurse and/or doctor about and then are just confusing to enter. I seem to get those a lot just before lunch.

Last week was also a good week. On the days I was training on order entry, I was able to actually enter orders all day instead of having to let my trainer do it because we were so busy. I'm starting to recognize things I've done before, and to recognize problem orders sooner.

In other fun, non-work related news, Thomas, Mom and I went to a bridal showcase this weekend and got lots of cards and flyers. Mom and I have Friday off before I work the weekend and have set up appointments with florists for this week and next. Also, Thomas bought his very first BRAND NEW CAR!!! He got a 2011 Toyota Camry XLE in a beautiful blue color. It looks really nice and he's happy to have a car he's not worried about falling apart anymore. He took me for a spin around the block and now I'm ready for a road trip!

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready for that road trip too, where do you want go?

    ReplyDelete