3.22.2010

Spring has sprung?

Its hard to believe it is Spring already, especially when its still snowing in Franklin NC! Today I spent time in the Emergency Department shadowing nurses. Well, trying to at least. Unfortunately, the ED was dead. We had a little 4 year old girl with belly pain that was mostly environmental factors and stress and poor diet taking a toll on her GI tract. One fella came in to have his stiches removed. Nothing exciting.

Tidbit of advice for anyone that may training students: if you send them to another department to shadow/observe/learn, make sure more than just the director of that department knows they are coming. Numerous times this month, and this year, my preceptors have set up time for me to go shadow somewhere, but no one I will actually be working with knows I'm coming so I get ignored half the time I'm there.

Oh well. Graduation is quickly approaching and we've come to the part of the year where I need to figure out what to do with my life. Last week was Residency Match Day. A little over 2900 applicants participated in the Match this year. However, only about 1950 positions were available, leaving many people unmatched to a program. Many of my friends and classmates matched to programs and are very happy with their placement for next year. Quite a few of my friends as well as myself did not match and have the option of talking to programs that did not match all of their spots in what is called the Post Match Scramble. Its pretty much every man, woman, and program for themselves fighting to get the spots filled. I have a phone interview tomorrow morning with a program in nothern VA.... fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment