11.05.2009

The Pumpkins

Ok, I know I'm a few days late with this but this new rotation is a whirlwind (which I'll try to write about in a new post this weekend...maybe).

Anywho, throughout the month of October, I heard about this pharmacist that carved pumpkins. He took time off at the end of October and carved and carved and carved and the whole neighborhood comes to see. Well he did carve, and there were certainly more than I would ever do, but there weren't the hundreds I was thinking of. The neighborhood does come, but mostly because they close off the street to auto traffic so its a pretty safe place for kids to go running on a sugar high.

I, and a few of my fellow future pharmacists, volunteered to hand out candy. He makes this little tunnel/walled pathway with trees and vines and had people stand in cloaks in little alcoves. Most people could see me as they came through, but the girl on the other side had a suburb time reaching out and tapping adults on the shoulder when they had no idea another person was around. I got home just in time for the rain to hit and watched the UT/USC game and listened to my roommates scream at a horror movie downstairs. All in all it was a fun night, and the Vols won in their cute black and orange -- yay for halloween themed sports uniforms. Enjoy the pictures!


Oh wait, almost forgot. Part of the reason I wanted to check out the pumpkins and volunteer is because Mr. Pumkin-carver-Pharmacist takes donations all night for the Eblen Foundation. Its a charity here in Asheville that does a little of everything: helps people get healthcare, vision, dental, travel to other hosptials out of the area, communications, rehab, electricity, heating, college scholarships... really everything. OK, now enjoy pictures :)










and of course his lab...

No comments:

Post a Comment