2.26.2010

Well don't that beat all...

Its my last day at Kerr Drug. I have been unhappy with the rotation most of the month, until about 3 days ago. We went to another store in Weaverville and I actually got to see patients! It was great. They came to their appointments, they actually talked and asked questions and I was able to help them understand.

I had the opportunity to teach them why its best to take their statin at night (when you're body is making its own cholesterol) and why its best to separate their calcium plus D from their thyroid medication (so both will be absorbed properly). We even gave out a few shots. I had one fella that is bipolar and has finally found a medication that works for him. The only problem is its so expensive he'll land in the doughnut hole in about June, but we're going to work on that.

Yesterday we had some folks come by for Shingles vaccines and we reviewed their medications with them as well. One lady was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 years ago and had never really been properly taught about the disease and all the damage it can cause in your body. My goal for today is to get her enrolled in the diabetes classes Anthony is starting.

Overall the rotation was not what I expected nor the best learning tool for me. But at least the last 3 days have shown me I am better at this than I think I am. I can talk to patients and they get what I'm saying and we all have smiles on our faces at the end of it. Whoo! Now on to March, only 2 more left to go!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment